Bridges of Amsterdam | Bruggen van Amsterdam

Discovering Amsterdam's Bridges: A Guide to the City's Iconic Landmarks

,

Berensluis – Bridge 65 | Amsterdam

Berensluis

The Bear Hides of the Berenstraat, and the 1893 Bridge Built While the City Argued About Filling In the Elandsgracht

The Berensluis connects the Berenstraat with the Elandsgracht, spanning the Prinsengracht between them. Like its neighbour the Reesluis a short distance north, it carries a name drawn from the hide trade, and like the Reesluis it belongs to the group of crossings that stitch the canal belt to the Jordaan.

Etymology and Naming: Bears, Deer and the Tanners’ Quarter

The bridge takes its name directly from the Berenstraat on which it sits. The street name, in turn, belongs to the same industrial history as the Reestraat beside it: in the seventeenth century this part of what is now the Jordaan held tanneries and the hide trade, and the animals whose skins passed through those workshops included bears.

Taken together with the Reestraat (roe deer) and the Looiersgracht (tanners), the Berenstraat completes a small toponymic cluster recording an entire vanished industry. It is one of the pleasures of walking this stretch of the Prinsengracht that four bridges in a row — and the streets they serve — carry the vocabulary of a trade that has left no other physical trace whatsoever. The bear hides came from somewhere far to the east; the workshops that processed them stood a few metres from where the tour boats now pass.

As elsewhere in Amsterdam, the sluis in the name marks a stone bridge, not a lock.

Structural Evolution: Blaeu’s Map of 1649 and the Tender of 1892

The bridge appears on Joan Blaeu’s map of 1649, alongside its neighbours — placing it, like most of the crossings in this stretch, among the original infrastructure of the completed canal ring rather than a later insertion.

The structure standing today, however, is a product of the 1890s, and the circumstances of its construction are unusually well documented. In 1890 the bridge appeared in the news during municipal discussions about filling in the Elandsgracht and about determining the water supply for the newly built Central Market Halls. In 1892 the bridge was put out to tender, with materials procured for the renewal of the Berensluis and one other bridge. The current bridge dates from 1893.

That sequence — a debate about filling in a canal, a question about water supply for a new market complex, and then a bridge rebuilt the following year — is a useful reminder that bridges are rarely rebuilt for their own sake. They are rebuilt because something around them is changing. The Berensluis of 1893 exists because late nineteenth-century Amsterdam was reorganising its water, its markets and its traffic all at once.

Urban and Social Context: Between the Nine Streets and the Elandsgracht

The Berenstraat side of the bridge belongs to the Negen Straatjes, the compact grid of shopping streets running between the main canals, now among the most sought-after retail addresses in the city. The Elandsgracht side leads into the Jordaan proper, historically a working-class district and today a mixture of the residential, the touristic and the extremely expensive.

The Elandsgracht itself was one of the canals discussed for filling in during the same period the bridge was rebuilt — part of the broader nineteenth-century impulse to convert water into road that also produced the Rozengracht corridor a few hundred metres north. The Berensluis therefore stands at a boundary that is social as much as physical: canal belt on one side, Jordaan on the other, and a nineteenth-century argument about which of them the city was for running straight beneath it.

Technical Specifications

  • Bridge number: 65
  • Name: Berensluis
  • Type: Fixed bridge
  • Spans: Prinsengracht
  • Connects: Berenstraat with Elandsgracht
  • First recorded: Joan Blaeu map, 1649
  • Tendered: 1892
  • Current structure: 1893

Sources Consulted

  • Berensluis, Nederlandstalige Wikipedia
  • Joan Blaeu, map of Amsterdam, 1649
  • Bruggen van Amsterdam — Prinsengracht hoek Berenstraat
  • Municipal reporting on the Elandsgracht and the Central Market Halls, 1890
  • Municipal tender records for the renewal of the Berensluis, 1892
Bear Lock Forming the connection between the Berenstraat and the Elandsgracht and spanning the Prinsengracht, the Berensluis is relatively new. Well this version is anyway, dating from 1950, but of course there has been a bridge in this location since at least 1649 as it appears on Joan Blaeu’s map at that time. The bridge is named after the Berenstraat where tanneries were located and where bear skins were processed just like the previous was named after the deers used for tanning on Reestraat. This is the eighth of nine bridges bordering the famous nine streets shopping district.

History and information

The current incarnation of Berensluis dates from around 1950 when it was rebuilt in the late summer. Dienst der Publieke Werken designed the bridge and at the time Piet Kramer was still responsible for the aesthetics of bridges. He is not mentioned by name however and his influence is mainly found in the cantilevers on the bridge piers. It seems much too wide for the amount of traffic in the area because in 1890, the bridge was in the news during talks about filling in the Elandsgracht, as well as determining the supply of the Central Market Hall that had yet to be built. In 1892 the tender took place for the widening of the existing bridge and it was not made more narrow during subsequent renovations.
Photos from the archive 1. The association building Felix Meritis at Keizersgracht number 324 with numbers 322-320 and the Berensluis, Brug 65 on the right https://archief.amsterdam/beeldbank/detail/bfe6d213-5428-96d3-d8f2-d81f63295dd0 2. Elandsgracht (left) before the filling in in 1891, seen across the Prinsengracht to the Westerkerk. On the right the Berensluis, bridge 65 1883 t/m 1890 https://archief.amsterdam/beeldbank/detail/16656653-1a45-c86a-b0ad-02f020783407 3. The Keizersgracht towards the Westertoren and the Berensluis. 1825 Kruyff, Cornelis de, Lutz, A., Buffa en Zonen https://archief.amsterdam/beeldbank/detail/3ecab87d-dc93-c674-f310-6f617be364f5 4. Renovation of the Berensluis (Bridge 65) over the Prinsengracht for the Berenstraat 25 Jul 1950 ANP https://archief.amsterdam/beeldbank/detail/ea02ec0f-7f27-1f1f-c3e6-021b0b4c6f2e 5. Reesluis, the Berensluis and the Looierssluis 1953 ca. t/m 1995 ca. Collectie Bureau Monumentenzorg https://archief.amsterdam/beeldbank/detail/45844da2-af13-0b15-7ee5-d24c03bdbf2e 6. Brug 65 Collectie Het Grachtenboek 1990 ca https://archief.amsterdam/beeldbank/detail/0b01e124-9b86-c715-499a-10100466a57c

Map and location

Berensluis connects Berenstraat and Elandsgracht spanning the Prinsengracht. It, like many of the crossings in the canal ring world heritage site, has been here for centuries. First appearing on the 1649 map of Joan Blaeu.
Located on the edge of the famous 9 streets boutique shopping area in Amsterdam city centre. It is about a twenty minute walk from Amsterdam Centraal station via Kalverstraat and Nieuwezijds Voorburgwal.
https://w3w.co/cobbles.fled.however https://w3w.co/rijtuig.slavink.zomerjurk ///cobbles.fled.however ///rijtuig.slavink.zomerjurk 52.370405, 4.882746 This what3words address refers to a 3 metre square location. Tap the link or enter the 3 words into the free what3words app to find it.