Forming the connection between the Berenstraat and the Elandsgracht and spanning the Prinsengracht, the Berensluis is relatively new. Well this version is anyway, dating from 1950, but of course there has been a bridge in this location since at least 1649 as it appears on Joan Blaeu’s map at that time.
The bridge is named after the Berenstraat where tanneries were located and where bear skins were processed just like the previous #reesluis was named after the deers used for tanning on Reestraat.
This is the eighth of nine bridges bordering the famous nine streets shopping district.
April 6, 2023
Berensluis – Bridge 65 | Amsterdam