Bridge number 23 had previously been assigned to the bridge along Herengracht over Warmoesgracht in the center of Amsterdam. There had been a bridge there for centuries. When the Warmoesgracht was filled in 1894 , to make way for the Raadhuisstraat , this bridge was demolished, so that number 23 became available. The photographer Jacob Olie in March 1894, a few months before filling in and demolition, took a series of photos of the canal and the bridges.
The new bridge 23 dates from 1929 and was designed by Pieter Lodewijk (Piet) Kramer (Amsterdam , July 1, 1881 – Santpoort , February 4, 1961 ) who was a Dutch architect and one of the main representatives of the Amsterdam School style if architecture. He is best known as the architect of the Haagse Bijenkorf (The Hague) and hundreds of bridges in Amsterdam including this one.
1 Bridge 23 over Warmoesgracht in March 1894
2 Piet Kramer (c) Wikipedia
3 Shipping House (Amrath Hotel) (1913-1916)
4 Fixed plate bridge Keizersgracht / Leidsestraat (1921).