Bridge 55 Pastoorsbrug information and history
The modern history of the bridge begins in June 1884, when there was a wooden bridge. The municipality issued a tender for the “iron renewal of the footbridge” and the “delivery of more than 5 tons of beam iron”. The iron bridge with wooden planks on iron yokes was completed in early 1885. The bridge caused more and more delays in through traffic on the Brouwersgracht. However, this situation with the pedestrian and bicycle bridge lasted until June 1963. Only then did the municipality of Amsterdam intervene and release a budget of 360,000 guilders for the construction of a road bridge. It was then decided to build a vault bridge with three passages. This would fit better in the cityscape than a modern bridge. It turned out to have been a good intervention, according to Frank V. Smit. The buildings around the bridge were also renovated, keeping the old character of the buildings in mind. He described it as “restoring back”.
Images from the archive
1. The Pastors Bridge #brug55 over the Keizersgracht seen to Brouwersgracht 84-94, interrupted by Binnen Brouwersstraat 33-37 and Keizersgracht 1 on the right.
2. Keizersgracht 8-II. View on the left of the #Pastoorsbrug Document type photo Manufacturer Schreuders, W.P.H. Collection Collection W.P.H. schreuders Dating August 23, 1945
3. Number 22 the Roman Catholic church De Zaaier seen in a northwesterly direction to Brouwersgracht 88-120 and in front of it the Pastoorbrug, #Bridge55. Onbekend, Anoniem 1890
4. Keizersgracht 2A-2 en achter de Pastoorsbrug, Brug 55 Brouwersgracht 88 -124 (ged.) vrnl 1953 ca. t/m 1995 ca.
5. Skating on the Keizersgracht with #brug55 in the background. 11 februari 2012 Schoenmakers, S. (Selma)