Bridge 47 history and information
Reinier Vinkeles painted the bridge in circa 1762, in an evening view when the theater was still located at Keizersgracht 384, which burned down on 11 May 1772.
The modern history of the bridge starts in 1889 when a request was made to lower the bridge as it was too steep for the traffic at that time. In 1892 it was reported that the iron girders of the bridge had been raised so that it could soon be opened to traffic. Then in 1913 it was proposeed to run a tram across this bridge with a tram stop placed on the bridge but this plan fell through. That bridge lasted until 1981 when the municipality started replacing the bridge and built a bridge that was more in keeping with the historic center of the city in the same was as #bridge44 #bridge45 and #bridge46.
1 Reinier Vinkeles painted the bridge in circa 1762
Pics from the Amsterdam archive
2 Renovation of bridge 47. On the right Huidenstraat. BP Opschoor January 1982
3 The Keizersgracht at number 440, seen in a northerly direction Description In the future Bridge 47 between the Runstraat and the Huidenstraat.
4 Rebuild Bridge 47. ANP Collection Collection of the Amsterdam City Archives: April 22, 1982
5 On the right bridge 47 before the Runstraat April 10, 2007