Bridge 51 information and history
The modern history of #bridge51 starts in 1863. The municipality then investigated the foundation of the bridge and it was found that this was of insufficient quality and the bridge had to be renewed. On May 31, 1864, the tender took place for “the construction of a piled foundation with the erection of the masonry piers and moors and“ the making and setting of all the iron work for the above-mentioned stone Wulf bridge ”. The bridge could be rebuilt for less than 22,000 guilders, and the entire facility would have cost more than 30,000 guilders. At that time, the Keizersgracht had a problem with sagging shore sides, which is why it was suggested barely a year later to fill in the Keizersgracht. In 1892 a new tender took place and the three bridges (51, 52 and 53) had to be lowered. It was not until almost a century later that there was work to be done again from 1979 to mid-1982 the bridge complex was under construction, with bridge 51 being completed last (around August 1982). The stones were pre-numbered to make the work go smoothly. Bridge numbers 51 (north side) and 1982 (south side) can be read on two stones. All this to give the bridge an “antique” appearance, while the bridge was given a concrete span although an architectural lie.
Photos from the archive
1 & 2 Bridge 51 Annemieke van Oord-de Pee, Collectie Het Grachtenboek 1990 ca.
3, 4 5 & 6 Keizersgracht hoek Leliegracht, brug 51. Op de voorgrond links brug 51 en rechts de aanzet van brug 53. Bridge 51, in the foreground the Niek Engelschman bridge, bridge 106. Collectie Bureau Monumentenzorg 1953 ca. t/m 1995 ca.
7 Aerial photo of part of Jordaan and part of northern canal belt Description Right Keizersgracht, middle Prinsengracht, above Brouwersgracht and Noordermarkt, left Bloemgracht and Westerstraat and below Leliegracht with Bridge 51. Dienst Publieke Werken; Afdeling Stadsontwikkeling
Collectie 20 april 1970
8 The bridge in 1966 Cultural Heritage Agency of the Netherlands
9 Bridge by Jan Schouten, circa 1760