De Koningssluis Brug 29 some history
The King’s Lock has been protected as a national monument since 2001. The modern history of the bridge begins in 1916 when the municipality decided that the Leidsestraat, a possibly filled-in Leidsegracht, would become the arterial road to the southwest of Amsterdam. 140,000 guilders were released for three bridges in the Leidsestraat, which were designed by Jo van der Mey. However, the price increase for raw materials as a result of the First World War threw a spanner in the works. Subsequently, the municipality doubled the budget in 1920, and work on the bridge began. The bridge, completed in 1921, was built partially on the foundations of an earlier bridge by the public works service of the municipality of Amsterdam. Notably, a new architect named Piet Kramer adapted the designs concurrently for bridge 43 and the Alms’ bridge, which we will discuss further in due course. Additionally, it is worth mentioning that Hildo Krop contributed to the project by designing the four sculptures depicting mythical creatures.
The earlier bridge and the Place Royale in 1888 The Koningsplein seen in an easterly direction towards Singel and Heiligeweg, with in the foreground the Koningssluis (bridge 29) over the Herengracht.
Collapsed Koningssluis in Amsterdam, 1752, anonymous, 1752