Torensluis is one of the widest bridges in the city because the Jan Roodenpoortstoren once stood on the bridge, a tower and also a prison.
The bridge dates from 1648 and is the oldest Amsterdam bridge that has been preserved in its original state. The dungeons below the tower are still present in the bridgehead.
During the design of the bridge in 1648, the plan arose to build shophouses on the very wide bridge, just like on the Rialto Bridge in Venice. The lease would then recoup part of the bridge’s construction costs. A painting by HG ten Cate from 1829 shows that some houses were later built on the bridge, against the tower but these were removed when the tower was demolished.
The bridge was also previously used as a market square due to the width of the bridge and the lack of buildings.
The dungeons have been restored and made accessible to the public with exhibitions and events now being organised there.
Since 1987 there is a bronze bust of Multatuli (Eduard Douwes Dekker) made by Hans Bayens on the bridge.
Since 2003 , the contours of the existing foundations in the cobblestone pavement have been visible.