Bridge 11 has no no official name.
Both bridge 10 and bridge 11 have been there for centuries just like many of the other bridges we have covered so far. Pieter Bast drew both bridges on his map of the city in 1599. Bridge 10 over the ‘Cingel’ is drawn as a drawbridge, bridge 11 over the ‘Blaeuwe Burchwal’ as a fixed bridge. Balthasar Florisz. van Berckenrode also drew both bridges on his map of 1625. Bridge 10 is many times larger than bridge 11.
The modern history of this bridge begins in 1894. In 1893, a request was made to renew this bridge due to its poor condition. The municipal council did not agree. A new investigation was then carried out due to the collapse of a bridge elsewhere, for which renewal had been requested at the same time, and which was also rejected. Bridge 11 was renewed in 1915, when a contractor saw an opportunity to build a new bridge for 21,000 guilders (the currency the netherlands used before the Euro) within eight months. The bridge, in the shape of the old one, was designed by Wichert Arend de Graaf , engineer at the Public Works Department. He had already designed a bridge with a span of reinforced concrete, hidden from view by a combination of granite and brick. The bridge itself is 54 metres long with wings, while the visible bridge (passage) is only six metres wide at the water line, less above it of course because of the arch. The bridge is slightly constricted in relation to the quay.
Since then, the bridge has remained unchanged, although repairs to the quay walls are visible.
Brug 11 een brug zonder naam
Architect: Wichert Arend de Graaf
Dienst der Publieke Werken – Department of Public Works