Bridge 52 information and history
The modern history of #bridge52 is obviously very similar to #bridge51.
Although in the 21st century, there is a bridge with a passage, Jacob Olie recorded a bridge with three passages and without arches in 1896 and a postcard from 1904 showed the same image. The 1979 bridge shows bridge number 52 on the side of the Keizersgracht in the upper archstone.
In 1892 a new tender took place and the three bridges (51, 52 and 53) had to be lowered. It was not until almost a century later that there was work to be done again from 1979 to mid-1982 the bridge complex was under construction, with bridge 51 being completed last (around August 1982). The stones were pre-numbered to make the work go smoothly. Bridge numbers 52 (east side) and 1982 (west side) can be read on two stones. All this to give the bridge an “antique” appearance, while the bridge was given a concrete span although an architectural lie.
Photos from the archive
1 Bridge 52 Oord-de Pee, Annemieke van, 1990 ca.
2 Bridge 52 en het Bank, CuneHetteman, Collectie Bureau Monumentenzorg 1984
3 Bridge being rebuilt Spoelstra, Y. Collectie Bureau Monumentenzorg 1980