Bridge 53 information and history
The modern history of #bridge53 is obviously very similar to #bridge52 and #bridge 51.
In 1892 a new tender took place and the three bridges (51, 52 and 53) had to be lowered. It was not until almost a century later that there was work to be done again from 1979 to mid-1982 the bridge complex was under construction, with bridge 51 being completed last (around August 1982). The stones were pre-numbered to make the work go smoothly. Bridge numbers 52 (east side) in 1982 (west side) and 53 (west side) and 1979 (east side) can be read on two bridges. All this is to give the bridges an “antique” appearance, while the bridges are given a concrete span although an architectural lie.
Photos from the archive
1 bridge 53 stereoscope image around 1880 Reynet de la Rue, P.H.J. (1839-1927)
2 bridge 53 stereoscope image around 1880 Rooswinkel, Andreas Theodorus (1838-1909)
3 Bridge 51 and 53 Annemieke van Oord-de Pee, Collectie Het Grachtenboek 1990 ca.