Bridge number 27 (De Beulingsluis) brug nummer 27
It’s been quite some time since we last had a bridge bearing a name. For those with keen observation, you may have already caught a glimpse of this particular bridge when we covered Krijtbergsluis (Bridge number 3) since it stands at the opposite end of the Beulingsloot.
Numbers 27 and 3 were nearly nonexistent due to the Beulingsloot “ditch” almost being completely filled in, rendering the bridges at either end obsolete. However, through some fortunate circumstances, both bridges have managed to remain in use.
The Beulingsloot was probably named after one of the residents of a nearby building, Gerrit Jansz. Beulinck, who had a building here around 1660 where “de Beuling” (sausage) hung. The canal has also been known as the Leerouwers- en Huidevettersloot. The canal is not accessible for motorised shipping traffic, and even non-motorised shipping traffic actually has one-way traffic from Singel to Herengracht, on bridge 27 there is a sign A1 of the Inland shipping policy regulations. The houses of the Beulingssloot are directly on the water. The Beulingsloot derives its name from one of the residents, Gerrit Jansz. Beulinck, who had a building nearby during the 1660s where “de Beuling” (sausage) was commonly hung. The canal is also known as the Leerouwers- en Huidevettersloot. Notably, the Beulingsloot is inaccessible for motorised shipping traffic, and even non-motorised ships must follow a one-way traffic pattern from Singel to Herengracht. A sign with the code A1 of the Inland Shipping Policy Regulations can be found at bridge 27. The houses lining the Beulingsloot offer direct waterfront views.