Bridge 25 a little history
Just like many of our bridges so far there has been a bridge here for centuries. So long in fact, that Balthasar Florisz. van Berckenrode drew the bridge on his map of 1625. Then an arch bridge with five passageways that led over the Heere Graft to the Wolve Straet, the old names of the Herengracht and Wolvenstraat. The current bridge dates from 1910 when the bridge, just like Bridge 24 along the Herengracht, was lowered to make it easier for traffic. Just before the renovation a horse and carriage went into the water because of its very steep slope. For centuries, this location has been home to one of our historical bridges, just like many others in our city. The bridge’s history dates back to the 17th century when Balthasar Florisz. van Berckenrode included the bridge on his map in 1625. At that time, it was an arch bridge with five passageways that connected the Heere Graft to the Wolve Straet, which were the former names of the Herengracht and Wolvenstraat, respectively. Since then, the bridge has undergone changes. The current structure was built in 1910, alongside Bridge 24 along the Herengracht, to accommodate the increasing traffic flow. To achieve this, the bridge was lowered, making it more accessible for vehicles. However, prior to its renovation, there was an unfortunate incident where a horse and carriage plunged into the water due to the bridge’s steep incline. Despite this incident, the bridge has continued to serve as an important crossing point over the waterway throughout its long history.
As of October 10, 1995, the bridge is a municipal monument.