There has been a bridge here for centuries, but it started with a lock with a lockkeeper’s house. At the beginning of the 17th century the lock had to be separated from the Amsterdam inland waters and the waters of the Amstel before the separation . Later, only the bridge remained. It once lay together on the city boundary of Amsterdam, right next to the Heiligewegspoort , which was demolished in 1663/1664 because the city boundary had shifted to the Leidsepoort due to the urban expansion.
Koningsplein was also part of Amsterdam’s Jewish History and many of the stores located here are chronicled in Dutch at https://www.joodsamsterdam.nl